Fast-forward to 2009. As I walked across the large open grassy field, there was nary a bottle to be seen. Thanks in large part to Global Inheritance, a youth activism organization focusing on sustainability, Coachella implemented a bunch of green programs:
- 10-for-1 bottle exchange (bring in 10 empty bottles and get one full water bottle free)
- Free water filling stations
- Totally hip art show called TRASHed: the art of recycling
- Carpoolchella -- a ridesharing program done through Pickuppal.com
- Recycled paper plane competition (prize: backstage with MIA, nice!)
- Alt-fuel golf cart race (ethanol vs. solar vs. biodiesel)
I missed Henry Rollins who played with MWard (I just couldn't pass up Crystal Castles who were at the same time) but according to my friend @chimpanjonas, he talked about our duty to the planet, or as he calls it, the "big blue-green fun ball."
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.