Fast-forward to 2009. As I walked across the large open grassy field, there was nary a bottle to be seen. Thanks in large part to Global Inheritance, a youth activism organization focusing on sustainability, Coachella implemented a bunch of green programs:
- 10-for-1 bottle exchange (bring in 10 empty bottles and get one full water bottle free)
- Free water filling stations
- Totally hip art show called TRASHed: the art of recycling
- Carpoolchella -- a ridesharing program done through Pickuppal.com
- Recycled paper plane competition (prize: backstage with MIA, nice!)
- Alt-fuel golf cart race (ethanol vs. solar vs. biodiesel)
I missed Henry Rollins who played with MWard (I just couldn't pass up Crystal Castles who were at the same time) but according to my friend @chimpanjonas, he talked about our duty to the planet, or as he calls it, the "big blue-green fun ball."