One of the first apps for the iPhone that I ever wrote about was the Locavore app. The original app had four features that identified foods that were in season in the local region and markets that might sell those foods. Since then the app has added a few features like recipes and the ability to post local foods you ate on Facebook.
This week, newer features will be added to the Locavore app, and on April 22, 2011, the app will be free to download for both Apple and Android platforms. Starting that day, Locavore will also start a 10-day contest where winners can win Amazon gift cards and eco-friendly grocery bags.
Here’s the lowdown on what’s old, what’s new, and what the contest is all about.
- Now on Android, as of this week
- Free on Earth Day, April 22nd (previously $2.99)
- “Where to Buy” shows who has specific food
- Expanded to cover Canada (April 22nd)
- Browse what’s in-season and soon to come
- Locate farms and farmers’ markets nearest you
- Find recipes for local, in-season items
- Post “I ate local” to Facebook
- Download Locavore phone app, for free, starting April 22
- Using Locavore, post “I ate local” to Locavore’s Facebook page
- Tell someone about Locavore, using Facebook or Twitter
For more information, visit Getlocavore.com.