A high school in Pennsylvania is giving Axe body spray the axe — asking students to stop using it after one student was hospitalized with an allergic reaction to the scented spray.

According to an official at Freedom High School in Bethlehem, Pa., the decision was made after a male student with a life-threatening allergy to Axe was hospitalized about two weeks ago — for the second time this year. This prompted the school to post this alert on the school's website on Tuesday ,notifying parents, faculty and students of the request:

The purpose of this posting is to make all parents, staff and students aware of a medical issue involving a Freedom High School student having an extreme allergy to Axe Body Spray. This allergy is potentially life-threatening for this student. Most recently this student has been transported to the hospital by ambulance for emergency medical treatment due to this student being exposed to Axe Body Spray while attending school.

My request to all Freedom Family members is that we take into consideration this student’s allergy to Axe Body Spray and refrain from using it as your cologne or fragrance of choice while attending Freedom High School.

On behalf of this student’s family and myself, thank you for your consideration.

Bethlehem Superintendent Joseph Roy clarified that the school is not banning Axe. Rather, they are "appealing to the community for support."

A spokesman for Unilever, which owns Axe, said the company is aware of the report and is reviewing the case.
 

Related on MNN:

The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.