Martha Stewart's efforts to help people around the nation prepare their turkeys this past Thanksgiving came with one big downside: a wicked case of salmonella poisoning.
The 71-year-old medial mogul was forced to cancel a number of appearances and meetings after she contracted the food-borne illness. Speaking with the NY Post, Stewart says she was in bed for several days.
“I never get sick, but I came down with salmonella,” she said. “I think I caught it because I was handling so many turkeys around Thanksgiving. I was on the ‘Today’ show, I did a number of other [Thanksgiving] appearances.”
Salmonella, which Stewart accurately described as "terrible," is notorious for causing diarrhea and vomiting, abdominal pain, blood in the stool, fever, chills and muscle pains. It's generally passed by ingesting raw or undercooked meat but, as was the case with Stewart, can also be contracted by handling raw, contaminated meat.
According to medical experts, most mild types of salmonella infection clear up in four to seven days without requiring any treatment other than rest and plenty of liquids.
Perhaps Martha should consider embracing a bit more the plant-based diet she was slowly moving towards last year? Either way, the takeaway here is simple: always wash your hands well after handling raw meat.
Related post on MNN: Super-virulent salmonella bacteria discovered
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.