El Ateneo Grand Splendid
The name sums it up nicely; grand and splendid indeed! Designed for the music impresario Max Glucksmann, this show-stopping theater space was opened as the Teatro Gran Splendid in Buenos Aires in 1919. After nearly a century of hosting tango masters and a cinema, the magnificent space was leased by the publishing conglomerate Grupo Ilhsa in 2000. Following a thorough renovation and conversion, the former theater now serves as the group’s flagship store; more than 1 million people visit El Ateneo annually. Bravo!