11. Liepzig University Library, Germany
The University Library in Liepzig, Germany was started in 1542 by Rector Caspar Borner and held several thousand items; the current collection has some 5 million volumes, 5.2 million media units and 7,200 current periodicals in addition to a significant holding of special collections. In 1891, the library moved to its current building, an exquisite neo-Renaissance design. The building was nearly destroyed in World War II; it was finally returned to its former splendor when it reopened in 2002 after eight years of expansion and renovation.