The High Bridge connects Manhattan and the Bronx over the Harlem River and stands today as the oldest surviving bridge in the city. The bridge was designed as an aqueduct and was completed in 1848. It looked like it does in this photo, taken in 1900, for more than 70 years until the ‘20s, when a few of the central masonry arches were replaced by one made of steel.
The bridge was part of a system that brought the first fresh and reliable water to New York City. It was closed in 1970, though a $20 million renovation project is currently under way to create a pedestrian bridge.