'90s pop culture: How much do you know?
Score: 0 13
Question: 0 of 13
The days of grunge music and Laura Palmer may be over, but the '90s will impact us forever. How much do you remember?
Question: 0 of 13
Score: 0 13
"Lost" debuted in 2004, and quickly became a cult classic, running for six seasons. The show's last season was 2010.
- "Dawson's Creek"
- "Beverly Hills, 90210"
- "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit"
Delia's was founded in 1993 as a buy-by-mail clothing company, and the catalog was eventually sent to about 40 percent of all young women in the 1990s.
- J. Crew
- Sears & Roebuck
- Free People
The hi-top fade was popularized by the African-American community, but it became such a popular 'do that it crossed over to other groups. The hi-top refers to the hair height, and the fade references the stylized shading of hair from bottom to top.
- The side-by-side
- The hi-top fade
- The capped flame
- The pencil top
Dolly was the first mammal born from a cloned somatic cell using nuclear transfer. The work was done at the University of Edinburgh in Scotland.
- She was the first cloned mammal.
- She looked like Queen Elizabeth.
- She had eight legs.
- She was the first animal to go to the International Space Station.
All the trends of the '80s and '90s seem to have come back around, save for huge pants — worn by men and women for most of the decade. Leggings, skinny jeans and jeggings don't seem to be making way (yet) for the comfort-oriented roomy pants fashion that was borne from skater and street cultures.
- Flower-print dresses
- Doc Martens
- Giant pants
"Macarena" by Los Del Rio was recorded in 1992, but didn't top charts until 1995, and then went on to stay there in 1996 and 1997. Its popularity as a cult classic endures today and it's number 7 on the Billboard All Time Top 100 songs.
- "Macarena" by Los del Rio
- "I Touch Myself" by the Divinyls
- "I Wish" by Skee-Lo
- "Peaches" by The Presidents of the United States of America
Real Simple didn't debut until March 2000. The other three magazines were some of the most popular of the decade, but only Wallpaper survives as a print publication.
- Real Simple
L7, along with Bikini Kill and Sleater-Kinney (of which Portlandia's Carrie Brownstein was a member), were some of the more popular bands that were part of the Riot Grrrl movement, which explored issues of domestic abuse, female empowerment, race, and the social influence of the patriarchy through a feminist lens.
- No Doubt
- The Breeders
Then-presidential candidate Bill Clinton was on Arsenio Hall's show in June 1992, and he played Elvis' "Heartbreak Hotel" on the sax. It was seen as a defining moment in his presidential campaign.
- Jimmy Kimmel
- Jay Leno
- Arsenio Hall
- David Letterman
2Pac — along with Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre and Ice-T — represented the West Coast during that era's famous hip-hop rivalry.
- De La Soul
- Wu-Tang Clan
Laura Palmer was the unfortunate murder victim on the David Lynch-created series "Twin Peaks," which aired from 1990-1991 and has since become a cult classic.
- A private detective on the original "Law & Order"
- The murder victim in "Twin Peaks"
- The lead in the show "Blossom"
- A recurring ghost character on "Friends"
General Motors' gas-guzzling Hummer was the focus of much of the anti-SUV ire that accompanied the growth of this class of cars during the 1990s. For a number of reasons, its production was discontinued in 2010, though other large SUVs are still produced.
- Ford Explorer
- GM Hummer
- Nissan Pathfinder
- Volkswagen Touareg
The Dude says, "Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, your opinion, man" in response to character Jesus Quintana's bowling challenge/threat.
- "I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon ... with nail polish."
- "Her life is in your hands."
- "You're not interested in sex?"
- "That's just like, your opinion, man."
OUR FAVORITE STORIES
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- Global warming pause caused by cooler Pacific Ocean
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- What is freezing fog?
- This woman sees more than 2 colors in 'the dress'
- 15 famous people who mysteriously disappeared
- 7 cultural concepts we don't have in the U.S.
- Bras don't actually work, says French study
- 7 things I wish someone told me before I adopted a dog
- Which of the 8 kinds of intelligence do you have?
- 13 surprising home remedies for acid reflux