20 clever uses for duct tape
Duct tape is the absolute darling of the do-it-yourself set. Here are some novel, even wacky, uses for it.
Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 02:30 PM
In the 1940s the United States military asked Johnson & Johnson to devise “a waterproof, strong cloth based tape that could keep moisture out of ammunition cases.” The result was a superhero adhesive tape made from a rubber-based adhesive applied to a durable duck cloth backing. Originally called duck tape, due to its cotton duck substrate, at some point during the last half of the 20th century it became better known as duct tape, owing to its employment in ductwork.
But over the years something else evolved with the product along with its name. It became the absolute darling of the do-it-yourself set — the indispensable item in the tool box, craft room, car trunk, back pack, sports bag and junk drawer, not to mention submarines and NASA spaceships. It's the sine qua non for emergency hacks and for making do with what you have. And its durability makes it an integral component in extending the life of broken things, giving them a new lease on life and keeping them out of the rubbish heap. And although to some, duct tape crafts and repairs may scream, "low-rent and tacky," we're seeing a shift in the zeitgeist that suggests a new era of duct-tape chic is in the air. So find some inspiration here and get taping.
1. Fix a leaky boat
2. Fashion some fisherman sandles
Photo: Bruce A Stockwell/Flickr
3. Construct dollhouse furniture
4. Pimp your ride with flashlight headlights
Photo: Toban Black/Flickr
5. Craft a pretty posy
6. Make a crochet hook or knitting needle case
7. Channel your inner Duct Tape Boy with a fancy costume
8. Insulate ventilated biking shoes for cold weather
Photo: Thirteen Of Clubs/Flickr
9. Create a nifty vegan wallet
10. Repair your smashed windshield for the drive to the auto body shop
11. Cobble some shoes
12. Draft an army of homemade toys
13. Indulge in the 'ol duct tape necktie trick
14. Construct a camera bag
15. Make a set of emergency flip flops
Photo: /Clint Lalonde/Flickr
16. Create a unique iPod case
17. Make a handbag
18. Build a collapsible lightbox
19. Craft a game or gadget pouch
20. And the most practical use of all, tape a gorilla to a tree...
Related duct tape stories on MNN:
- Another use for duct tape: Reduce hospital infections
- Pilot duct tapes bear-shredded plane and flies home
This story was originally written for Treehugger. Copyright 2012.