7 TV shows you should be watching
Plus: Andi MacDowell goes off the grid.
Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Actress Andie MacDowell says she's in the process of getting off the grid. (Photo: INF Photo)
1) The 12th season of “Project Runway” gets off to a sustainable start when contestants must repurpose parachutes in their designs. The competition begins July 18 on Lifetime.
2) Premiering July 20, the Weather Channel one-hour special “Dangerous Day Ahead” follows intrepid storm chasers, including Tim and Paul Samaras and Carl Young in the hours before they were killed by the category 5 Oklahoma tornado on May 31.
3) The brutal frozen trek that is National Geographic’s “Ultimate Survival Alaska” comes to a dramatic close in the July 21 season finale, aptly titled “Vertical Hell.”
4) Nat Geo Wild presents back-to-back “Fight For Life” specials on July 21, “Bad News Black Bears” and “Water for Elephants,” documenting animals’ lives from birth onward. “Snow Babies,” focusing on newborn arctic foxes, reindeer, penguins, polar bears and snow monkeys, follows on the same night.
5) Also on Nat Geo Wild, “When Sharks Attack: California Killer” shows why it’s unsafe to go back in the water along the Pacific coast. It premieres July 22.
6) The “Gator Boys” return to Animal Planet for a second season of alligator wrangling and relocation on July 28.
7) Andie MacDowell, who plays a small-town judge in Hallmark Channel’s new series “Cedar Cove,” based on Debbie Macomber’s books, tries to live as sustainably as possible. “I bought a ranch a long time ago in Montana and I’m in the process of getting off the grid. The house has a geothermal water system,” she says, adding that her kids are “super-conscious” when it comes to green living. “My daughter Rainey buys all of her stuff at the used clothing store, everything she wears. She’s a talented seamstress and recreates them.” “Cedar Cove” premieres with a two-hour movie on July 20.
Related posts on MNN:
- See Weather Channel's 'Weather That Changed the World'
- Get more celebrity updates and read more entertainment news