The Super Bowl is a smorgasbord of American culture — our competitive spirit, creativity, a sense of fun ... and an unhealthy obsession with food. With that in mind, we've pulled together some of the best stories from MNN.com to help you get in the right frame of mind to host a party for the Big Game.
First off, if reading this file is the first time you've thought about throwing a bash, don't worry. There's plenty of time. With just a few hours of planning, you can throw a fun gathering. If you're more seasoned gridiron host, you'll get some creative and environmentally savvy ideas from MNN's party planner extraordinare, Daniel V.
Regardless of where you live, it's unlikely you'll be watching the game outdoors, but these green tailgating tips offer some smart ideas about the art of barbequeing and selecting a green beer.
If it's all about the commercials
- You might have some guests who don't know an audible from a flea flicker. For the who-cares-about-the-game crowd — and let's be honest, even your football fanatics will be interested — here are 12 memorable Super Bowl pitch animals.
- And if you're into commercials, you'll appreciate this collection of thought-provoking eco-themed commercials.
- Your team may not be playing this year, but when it comes to the Super Bowl, that often doesn't matter. You can always find something to be competitive about, right? For instance, who's got bragging rights on the greenest sports complex?
If it's all about the snacks
- Food is the universal connector when it comes to a party, and this gathering will be no different. We've got a collection of recipes and serving solutions that will leave your guests thinking you do this every weekend.
- This is one Sunday when finger foods rule. MNN food blogger Robin Shreeves offers up a slew of great appetizers, from Jalapeno Poppers to Buffalo Wing Turkey Lettuce Wraps. Want more hardy fare? Here are some great standards, including Seven Layer Taco Dip.
- Blogger Kimi Harris suggest 8 delicious and healthy dip options.
- Your delicious offerings will look even more scrumptious in these eco-friendly bowls.
- This is one game where beer is the preferred beverage, so why not try these organic selections?
- You'll have at least one guest who shuns meat, so think ahead and prepare these Simple Vegetarian Tostadas.
- Sure, it's game day, but that doesn't mean it's OK to throw your healthy eating resolution out the door. Prep these five recipes for health-conscious sports fans before your friends get glued to the tube. They'll thank you for it later.
Good luck with your bash. Regardless of your guests' team loyalty, they'll go home happy.