In 1932, contractor Patrick O’Donnell built this classic gas station in Odell, Ill., based on a 1916 Standard Oil design known as a domestic style gas station. This style was intended to be associated with home and make customers feel more comfortable. The Standard Oil Gasoline Station sold gas until the 1960s and became an auto body shop until the 1970s, when it finally closed its doors. The station would have been torn down had the town of Odell not restored it, and in 1997 the gas station was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Odell's historic gas station is now a welcome center, and in 2002 it won the National Historic Route 66 Federation Cyrus Avery Award for the most outstanding preservation project.