MNN Galleries

5 beauty treatments that could turn deadly

By: Laura Moss on Feb. 14, 2012, 6:26 p.m.
woman getting pedicure

Photo: Smoobs/flickr

2 of 7

Manicures and pedicures

In a place where nails are cut, calluses are buffed and feet are soaked, it’s no surprise that you can pick up fungal and bacterial infections — including MRSA, an antibiotic-resistant bacteria — in nail salons. And while it may be hard to believe, these infections can be deadly. In 2005, Kimberly Kay Jackson went to get her monthly pedicure, but her heel was cut by a pumice stone and she developed a wound that wouldn’t heal despite antibiotics. The 46-year-old died seven months later and her family sued the salon.


Experts advise that you evaluate a salon’s general cleanliness when you first enter, and check out these other consumer safety guidelines. If you notice signs of infection around your cuticles or nail bed after visiting a nail salon, see a doctor immediately.