Are you a recycling master?
Are you a recycling master?
Score: 0 10
Question: 0 of 10
Think you're an expert at talking trash? Then you won't be afraid to test your recycling knowledge.
Start the Quiz
Q: Faced with a crumpled piece of paper or tin foil, most people are likely to:
A study found that when commonly recycled materials are manipulated — meaning they are torn or crumpled — people are less likely to consider them recyclable and instead throw them in the trash.
- Try to flatten it and save it
- Put it in the recycling bin
- Put it in the trash can with non-recyclables
- Save it for another use, like packing material
Q: Which of the following organizations exist?
So far, the service has diverted 92,000 pounds of unwanted crayons from the landfill.
- The National Crayon Recycle Program
- The National Lipstick Recycle Program
- The National Candle Recycle Program
- The National Spork Recycle Program
Q: True or false? Zipper-style sandwich and freezer bags can be recycled.
Ziploc and RecycleBank started a recycling program in which consumers can drop off clean and dry Ziploc bags at one of nearly 18,000 in-store recycling centers across the country.
Q: How many Americans recycle bathroom products (hair products, containers for cosmetics, etc.)?
William J. Mahnken/Shutterstock
After a survey revealed how few people recycle in the bathroom, Johnson & Johnson launched the Care to Recycle program to bring awareness to the problem.
- One in two
- One in five
- One in 10
- One in 20
Q: How long does it take a used aluminum can to be recycled and put back on store shelves?
Aluminum can recycling is one of the most efficient forms of recycling, with more than 50 percent of the cans produced re-entering the product stream.
- At least 10 days
- At least 60 days
- As least six months
- At least a year
Q: How much less energy does it take to make a can from recycled aluminum vs. raw materials?
Aluminum recycling is so efficient that if the can recycling rate hit 75 percent, we could save 1,286 megawatts of electricity per year — the amount generated by two coal-fired power plants.
- 20 percent
- 35 percent
- 70 percent
- 95 percent
Q: How many trees does 1 ton of recycled paper save?
One ton of recycled paper also saves 380 gallons of oil, three cubic yards of landfill space, 4,000 kilowatts of energy and 7,000 gallons of water.
Q: Disposable paper products account for how much waste in America each year?
Paper comprises around 28 percent of America's total waste output. (Fortunately, as of 2011 the paper recycling rate is 66 percent.)
- 4 million tons
- 37 million tons
- 52 million tons
- 68 million tons
Q: What does the number in a triangle on the bottom of a plastic containers indicate?
The resin identification coding system for plastic was introduced in 1988 by SPI, the plastics industry trade association. The system helps consumers determine which items are recyclable.
- That the container is recyclable
- What kind of plastic the container is made of
- How many different resins were used
- The plastic's density
Q: How much of the stuff we throw away ends up in the landfill?
More than half the garbage we toss ends up in landfills; about 35 percent is recycled or composted and the rest is combusted for energy.
- 27 percent
- 54 percent
- 71 percent
- 82 percent
Well, we hope you learned something, at least.Think of it this way, you could have done worse. (But not by much.)Congrats on your trash savvy!You mastered it! Mother Nature thanks you.
OUR FAVORITE STORIES
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- 15 things humans do wrong at dog parks
- Use baking soda for easy-to-peel hard-boiled eggs
- Dogs try to take back their beds from cats
- The science behind your cat's most adorable features
- A boy and his rescue dog … with matching headgear?
- 13 surprising home remedies for acid reflux
- 13 natural remedies for the ant invasion
- 30 insane facts about sleep
- Another cause of California's drought: Pot farms
- 7 signs we are too dependent on technology