Note: This list is biased in the favor of compassion, care, and understanding.
Reasons to adopt Fido
1) Fido needs you. You don't know it yet, but you need Fido, too.
2) There are so many sheltered dogs out there, you'll certainly be able to find one that matches your lifestyle. You can "test drive" Fido, so to speak.
3) By adopting Fido, rather than buying Fido from a commercial breeder, you send a message to puppy mill operators.
4) By adopting Fido from a not for profit shelter instead of putting your money in a breeder's pocket, you'll be helping the shelter rescue other neglected animals.
5) 25 percent of shelter dogs are purebred.
6) If you put a little time into your shelter (or specialized rescue) search, you will be able to find almost any breed you desire: English Bulldog, Italian Mastiff, Golden Retriever, Beagle, English Springer Spaniel, etc.
7) There is absolutely nothing is wrong with a shelter dog.
8) 3-4 million shelter cats and dogs are put to sleep every year.
9) Shelter dogs are screened to determine the animal's needs, wants, likes and dislikes.
10) You can choose a puppy or a seasoned family veteran.
11) You believe in doing the right thing.
12) Whether Fido came from Petland or the municipal shelter, a dog is a dog is a dog.
13) Just like the alternative, shelter dogs are eager to learn and please.
14) Shelter dogs are spayed/neutered and up to date on medications.
15) Shelter dogs are significantly cheaper.
16) Shelter dogs have unmistakeable personality.
17) Intelligence and understanding are qualities not lost on a shelter dog.
This list is certain to grow with every day you spend with your adopted pooch. If have a reason to share, please post it in the comments. Thanks!
Reason not to adopt Fido
1) Your dog may be shinier than mine, and that's just fine.
This is written somewhat lightheartedly, but in all sincerity, if you're looking for a companion — a dog, a cat, a rabbit, or a guinea pig — please search the shelters
. These pets are worthy of a safe and healthy home. If you make the humane choice, you probably won't feel as
bad when you see commercials like this:
Please note, this Pedigree commercial is not posted to encourage you to buy their dog food, but rather to encourage you to adopt a dog. Please research your pet's food and buy the food that best meets your Fido's needs.