How to make your own greenhouse
Here's your chance to learn how to grow better veggies at home.
Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 12:42
Photo: Jessica Doke
Wouldn't it be nice not to buy the less-than-flavorful veggies they sell on the off season at the local grocery store? Or even grow better produce during your growing season? I have a great solution for these issues. Have your own greenhouse in your backyard! I did some research on this issue for myself and I was able to make this greenhouse hut without any assistance. It was simple, straightforward. I hope this can inspire you to try something new for your garden this year.
Project cost for a greenhouse of this size: $47.70 (In Montana)
To make your own greenhouse you will need:
A diagram. First draw one for your project with specific measurements.
1. PVC pipe: I chose 1/2-inch thickness, but you can go as big as you can afford.
I bought 5-10" poles and I had just enough to make a 3.75' W x 8'L x 4' H greenhouse hut. At some hardware stores they will cut it for you, or a small saw will work.
2. Connectors for corners. In your diagram that you made before you started, add up all the corners and connections you will need. I went to Ace Hardware and asked for help. They were happy to oblige.
I ended up with six 45-degree elbows, six corner and up adapters, six male extensions and I got six straight connectors just in case. For something bigger your numbers will be about the same, but I would ask for help from the hardware associate if possible.
3. Plastic to cover. I bought 3-ml thickness at 250 sq. ft.
4. Something to hold it together. I used duct tape on the inside.
5. Some sort of bottom (optional). I will use some old carpet.
This is my first year trying this, so if I find more ideas I will update as the ideas come.
I cut a slit for the door and will face it away from where the wind blows so the local bees will be able to pollinate my plants and for some circulation. This is a very basic house you can be as extravagant as you want. Good luck!
You might also like: