Wildcat hills efforts given a boost
Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 03:29 PM
By The Nature Conservancy
A collaborative effort to conserve the Wildcat Hills for future generations has been recognized with a $15,000 commitment from the Oregon Trail Community Foundation.
“It’s a tremendous help,” said Dr. Mace Hack, state director of The Nature Conservancy. “The Wildcat Hills are recognized throughout our state and across the region for their conservation value and beauty. This award will help us move the needle even further toward our shared goals.”
It was a shared sense of urgency that brought partners from Platte River Basin Environments, Nebraska Game and Parks Commission, and the Conservancy together to form the Wildcat Hills Wildlands Initiative. The group’s mission is to conserve this ecosystem by “maintaining, enhancing, and restoring native plant communities and the wildlife they support while promoting compatible recreation and income-producing opportunities in support of ecological management.”
The grant from the Oregon Trail Community Foundation will be used to protect a keystone property in Scotts Bluff county – the Montz tract. Chosen for its vital bighorn sheep habitat, native plants, unusual springs, and geological features, the Montz tract enhances the network of conservation lands already owned and managed by the partners.
“This award has great worth above even its face value,” said Hack. “It will match public and private funds and serve as incentive to others to really consider what’s at stake in the Wildcat Hills.”
Find out more about this effort here.
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- Food fraud: 10 counterfeit products we commonly consume
- What your blood type says about you
- Why you should mulch leaves, not rake them
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- How a viable nuclear fusion reactor really could change the world
- 3 recipes for homemade vegan mayonnaise
- What to pack for a hike: 10 essential items
- Rare berries offer seeds of hope for cancer sufferers
- Best air-filtering houseplants, according to NASA
- 10 natural cough remedies