Partnering in protection
Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 01:45 PM
By The Nature Conservancy
Years of close collaboration among The Nature Conservancy (TNC), Sierra Pacific Power Company and Truckee Meadows Water Authority (TMWA), has resulted in the protection of 3,350 acres of the Truckee River Canyon, located in the northern Sierra Nevada between the town of Floriston, Calif. and the Nevada state line.
TMWA Board Chairman, Mike Carrigan says the TMWA is interested in the protection of watershed and wanted the collaboration to be an opportunity to protect the Truckee River. The collaboration will also increase recreation opportunities at the Truckee River Canyon corridor.
The three entities worked closely with the Truckee Donner Land Trust, the State of California’s Resources Agency, the Wildlife Conservation Board and the California Department of Fish and Game for the past four years to structure a deal that will preserve the Truckee River Canyon, while protecting the watershed and still allowing public access to some of the property.
Sierra Pacific Power Company President, Jeff Ceccarelli, says they are happy to see the protected parts of the river be made available for use by future generations. Ceccarelli was proud of the partnership between the The Nature Conservancy and Truckee Meadows Water Authority.
The canyon property was recognized by The Nature Conservancy’s Truckee River Project as a top priority for acquisition and includes seven miles of riverfront. The tract provides an island of outstanding cottonwood riparian forest in a sea of rocky ridgelines and a river that lacks adequate riparian vegetation along much of its length. TNC Nevada Associate State Director, Michael Cameron says the protection of the land will support water supply for future residents.
MNN is working with The Nature Conservancy to bring you state-by-state environmental information.
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- How extensive is California's drought? Compare the photos
- 36 random animal facts that may surprise you
- Take a classic road trip on America's longest highway
- Can you identify these famous buildings? MNN quiz
- Black holes are 'portals to other universes,' according to new quantum results
- How solar-equipped donkeys are changing the lives of Turkish shepherds
- Watch Wounda the chimpanzee hug Jane Goodall after being released into the wild
- Why some stress is actually good for you
- Would you survive being lost at sea? Quiz