I have an easy-to-make, refreshing summer dish to share with you. Full of color and deliciousness, it's perfect to bring to any BBQ as a side dish. It's also so rich in nutrients that it keeps your belly full, so it can most certainly stand on its own for a fabulous lunch. Ladies and gentlemen, quinoa salad.
Quinoa (pronounced "keen-wah") is a whole grain native to South America that is packed with protein, fiber, potassium and other nutritional goodies. It contains a balanced set of amino acids, which makes it an unusually complete protein source
(12 to 18 percent protein) for a plant food. It is considered by many to be a superfood
. People often compare it to couscous. It is certainly a usual suspect at any health food store or Whole Foods supermarket, but I have also found it in more common grocery stores like Shop Rite. Other great news: it's super easy to make.
Let's get started on this yummy quinoa corn salad!
1 cup veggie broth
1 cup water
1 cup quinoa
1/2 cup defrosted frozen corn
2 chopped scallions
1 tbsp cilantro
3 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 lime, juiced
1. Bring liquid to a light rolling boil.
2. Rinse and drain the quinoa or buy the brand truRoots which is pre-soaked before cooking it.
3. Add quinoa to the liquid and simmer for 20 minutes
4. Combine corn, scallions and cilantro with the cooked quinoa. Chill this mixture.
5. Combine olive oil, sea salt, pepper and the juice of one organic lime in a cruet or separate container.
6. Shake until emulsified and then pour over quinoa mixture and toss.
You can sprinkle pumpkin seeds over the salad before serving. Enjoy!
Also on MNN: