Snack attack: My go-to gluten-free snacks
Healthy snacks to eat on a gluten-free diet.
Friday, March 22, 2013 - 10:38
I am a real snacker. Most days the only true meal I sit down to is dinnertime. Because I follow a gluten-free diet, I am trying to improve the quality of my snacks so they pack a wallop of nutrition in each bite. I try to always have a stash of snacks prepared the night before and keep a staple in my school bag/handbag.
Here are some of my favorites:
Almond butter on rice crackers
Trail mix with almonds, cashews, walnuts, dried fruit
Masa Crisps: This is one of my favorite snacks from the box. They taste just like Fritos.
Brad’s Raw Chips
Think Thin Bars
Late July Organic Dude Ranch Gluten-Free Chips
Food for Life Brown Rice Tortilla Wrap with grilled chicken or turkey inside
The recipe below is one of my favorite “sweet treat” snacks for late at night!
Brown Rice Krispie Treats (Makes 16 squares)
Cook time: 1 minute, (PT1M)
Total time: 10 minutes, (PT10M)
2/3 cup brown rice syrup
1/3 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup almond butter
3 1/2 cups organic crispy brown rice cereal
1. In a large saucepan, heat brown rice syrup, almond and peanut butter over low heat and whisk until melted and combined, about 2 minutes.
2. Remove from the heat and pour over rice crispies in a large bowl.
3. Stir with a plastic spatula until completely combined.
4. Pour into a greased 8 x 8 inch pan and press down to flatten the top (sometimes I put a plastic baggie on my hand like a glove, to press into the pan and flatten the treats).
5. Cool for 5 minutes and cut into bars.
From Weelicious by Catherine McCord
You might also like: