Volatile organic compounds: A silent problem
- Open windows and/or doors. This allows fresh air to circulate throughout the hallways and corridors and remove these harmful chemicals from indoors.
- Clean all the floors and carpets biweekly. Vacuuming not only removes unsightly stains, but also it eliminates dangerous chemicals and decreases the in-house radioactivity. An efficient and clean vacuum can kill 100 percent of fleas and ticks.
- Use plant-based and biodegradable cleaning agents. Green Works and Seventh Generation are excellent eco-cleaners fit to tackle everything from kitchens to home offices.
- Change in-home air filters every three months. Air filters trap and destroy billions of harmful germs and chemicals every day. Unclean filters fail to eliminate harmful agents.
- Stop using chemical-based air fresheners and pest killers. Bug killers contain extremely harmful chemicals such as formaldehyde and nitrogen dioxide. Additionally, the scents last for a short time. Fresh flowers and opening the windows work better.
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.