After receiving hundreds of nominees, the staff at Green America has narrowed the list down to the top 10 finalists for the 2010 Green Grants contest. The contest tagline is Green = Social Justice + Environmental Responsibility. The first prize winner will receive a $2,500 grant and three second prize winners will receive a $1,000 grant.
The organizations that have made it into the top 10 come from communities across the nation and although each project meets the social justice plus environmental responsibility requirement, they each have a very defined focus.
2010 Green Grants contest finalists
- Adelante Mujeres - Portland, Oregon
- Alliance for Green Heat - Takoma Park, Maryland
- Build it Up, West Virginia, Summer Program - Charleston, West Virginia
- DOMA Coffee Roasters - Port Falls, Idaho
- Habitat for Humanity of Mahoning Co. - Youngstown, Ohio
- Hope Gardens - Charlotte, North Carolina
- Little Village Environmental Justice Organization - Chicago, Illinois
- NOLA Society for Conservation Biology - New Orleans, Louisiana
- Vertical Harvest of Jackson Hole - Jackson Hole, Wyoming
- Your ReSource - Ewing, New Jersey
Although each of the top 10 projects has a very specific focus, several of the finalists are focusing on food. Adelante Mujeres has included organic farming in its project proposal and Hope Gardens and Vertical Harvest are focusing on local food as part of their proposed initiatives.
For more details about the 10 organizations listed or to vote for your favorite, visit the Green America 2010 Green Grants webpage.