Our nation’s two-year colleges were in the national spotlight this week thanks to the first White House Summit on Community Colleges. With today’s stagnant economy, community colleges are able to provide much needed skills and training to unemployed Americans to help them get ahead. Community colleges are also the hub for today’s growing green economy.
Green jobs training programs are springing up at community colleges across the country thanks to funding from the Recovery Act. The growing clean energy economy as well as healthcare and information technology were key topics during the summit.
The White House website has quite a bit of coverage of community college summit. Check out the links below to learn more about the role the nation’s community colleges are playing in the economic recovery.
- Community College Summit: Opening Session
- Community College Summit: Closing Session
- Shining a Light on a Best Kept Secret by Dr. Jill Biden
- Community Colleges: “America’s Best Kept Secret”
- Celebrating Community Colleges and Their Students by Melinda Gates
Photo: Pat Hawks/Flickr