Obama's backyard speech on the economy: Part 2
- The shrinking middle class
- Ensuring that the decisions we make today do not negatively affect the economy of our future
- The need for continual investments in research and development to keep America competitive with countries like China
- Strengthening the nation’s educational system to ensure that today’s students are prepared for tomorrow’s job market
- More support for small business owners
“That's why this bill that we’re looking to pass this week out of the Senate, and that Gerry and Jim already voted for, is so important -- because what it would do is it would take funding authorization to provide to community banks, who are most likely to give loans to small businesses, but it would say to those banks, you know what, we’re going to hold you accountable for actually lending the money. So -- because what we don't want to do is just help the banks boost their balance sheets, but they’re never getting the money out of the door.”
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.