Business guru blogs about the latest in green biz.
5 free IRS tax resources for last-minute filers
If you haven't filed your 2011 taxes yet, check out these free resources first.
Tue, Apr 03, 2012 at 05:01 PM
Tax Day 2012
is in two weeks. Due to April 15th falling on a Sunday on Monday and April 16 being a holiday in the District of Columbia, your 2011 tax returns aren’t due until April 17, 2012. If you’re a last minute filer, take a few minutes to browse through these free IRS resources to make sure you have everything you need before filing your 2011 taxes.
1. IRS Free File
– If you meet certain criteria, including an adjusted gross income (AGI) of $57,000 or less, you may be eligible to file your 2011 federal return online for free. The IRS website has compiled a list of companies that participate in the IRS Free File
2. Interactive Tax Assistant
– In addition to maintaining Free File resources, the IRS website also features an Interactive Tax Assistant
(ITA). The online database covers several tax topics including credits, deductions, income and general filing questions.
3. Online Tax Payment System
– Taxpayers that owe more in 2011 taxes than they paid in via payroll withholding can make a payment online through the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System
4. Refund Status
– Taxpayers that overpaid in 2011 will be expecting a refund and the big question is, “when will I receive my refund?” The IRS has an interactive online tool that allows most taxpayers to instantly look up their refund status
5. Online Withholding Calculator
– After filing your taxes, complete the online withholding calculator
to adjust your withholding for 2012. If you overpaid, it would be nice to receive a little extra money in your paycheck each month instead of letting the government borrow it interest-fee. If you underpaid, adjusting your withholding can help you avoid a surprise next April.
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.