It's tax time!
- Are you tight on cash? Check out the IRS Free File options. Households with an AGI of $58,000 or less can free file electronically but anyone can use the IRS Free File Fillable Forms.
- If you have questions, you can obtain free assistance from the IRS. The IRS offers this free assistance through a variety of venues including a toll-free phone line, taxpayer assistance centers and through a volunteer tax preparer. One important note – if the federal government does shutdown, you’ll find this free help hard to come by.
- The IRS website has a page dedicated to unemployed taxpayers. With millions of Americans facing unemployment in 2010, this page is a great resource for those with tax questions relating to their unemployment.
- Tax time is scammer time. Nervous taxpayers make easy prey for experienced con artists. Check out the IRS list of the 2011 Dirty Dozen Tax Scams and make sure you don’t get taken.
- If you just don’t think you can get everything together by the April 18 deadline, don’t forget to file IRS Form 4868 (PDF) requesting an extension to file your individual return.
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.