The 74-page long debt ceiling compromise legislation, officially known as The Budget Control Act of 2011, is not exactly an easy read. The Obama administration’s answer to the problem was to create an easy-to-read infographic and a set of Myths and Facts and publish it on The White House website.
The infographic breaks down the compromise into three steps:
- Debt limit increased by at least $2.1 trillion
- 10-year spending cuts of nearly $1 trillion
- Establishes a bipartisan committee that will identify an additional $1.5 trillion in spending cuts
The other part of the The White House’s simplified explanation of the debt ceiling compromise is series of Myths and Facts. A few of the myths addressed include:
- President Obama caved
- Republicans got everything they wanted
- This deal cuts Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security.
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.