Yesterday at Greenbuild 2011 in Toronto, BuildingGreen announced the 2012 Top 10 Green Building Products. This year marks the tenth year that BuildingGreen, publisher of GreenSpec and Environmental Building News, has recognized innovative products in the green building industry.
The green building industry has matured over the past several years and with this growth we’ve seen an increase in the number of building products being advertised as green. Unfortunately, greenwashing is an issue even in the green building industry and so care must be taken to ensure that products included in the list are indeed environmentally friendly.
Alex Wilson, BuildingGreen founder, comments on this challenge, “There are more ‘green’ building products than ever, but not all of them address a real need—or worse, some of them may create new problems down the road. In selecting this year’s Top-10 products, we looked for companies that solved pressing needs in energy efficiency, reduced toxicity in building materials, enhanced retrofit applications and offered unique solutions in other areas.”
Without further ado, I present you with this year’s winners.
2012 Top 10 Green Building Products
- InterfaceFLOR carpet tiles with non-PFC carpet fibers
- Lifeline PVC-free resilient flooring from Upofloor OY imported by Altro Floors
- Knight Wall CI-Girt Rainscreen System from Knight Wall Systems
- EonCoat waterborne ceramic coating from EonCoat LLC
- Aqua2use Graywater System from Water Wise Group, Inc.
- Cypress Envirosystems analog-to-digital wireless thermostat
- Ritter XL solar thermal system from Regasol
- Mitsubishi Electric’s Ductless Heat Pumps and Variable Refrigerant Flow Systems with Tenant Submetering
- AllSun Trackers from AllEarth Renewables (photograph featured above)
- Philips EnduraLEDs from Philips Lighting