Abbie Cook is currently a junior at Owosso High School in Owosso, Mich. Her passion for saving the earth came from her family, who made sure she was always outside. Abbie has completed a 110-mile backpacking trek around Isle Royale, an island located in the middle of Lake Superior, and she has portaged in Killarney Provincial Park in Canada. The wilderness experience of lifetime came this summer when Abbie embarked on a three-week Alaskan backcountry trip which consisted of summiting a mountain, sea kayaking and glacier trekking. When not discovering the outdoors, Abbie spends her time preserving it. She was selected as a 2007 and 2008 Eco-Ambassador by The Weather Channel and was accepted to an environmental sustainability program at Brown University. Abbie then single-handed installed recycling bins for plastic bottles at her high school and sports field. Abbie continues to work hard preserving her local river and broadcasting the environmental word to her community.
Abbie's MOST RECENT COMMENTS
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...The reality is it is my son's body to do with as he chooses! ..."
- by reader This Chick
- by reader Dale
- by reader Erin
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- Sleek, slanted-roof cabin wants to woo new generation of California campers
- 13 natural remedies for the ant invasion
- Study: Abstaining from alcohol significantly shortens life
- Make ice cream in 5 minutes with one ingredient
- What if Raleigh and Atlanta just merged?
- Name the state where these natural wonders are located: Quiz
- Too beautiful to be real? 16 surreal landscapes found on Earth
- 15 fascinating facts about Houdini
- 15 houseplants for improving indoor air quality: A breath of fresh air