Abbie Cook is currently a junior at Owosso High School in Owosso, Mich. Her passion for saving the earth came from her family, who made sure she was always outside. Abbie has completed a 110-mile backpacking trek around Isle Royale, an island located in the middle of Lake Superior, and she has portaged in Killarney Provincial Park in Canada. The wilderness experience of lifetime came this summer when Abbie embarked on a three-week Alaskan backcountry trip which consisted of summiting a mountain, sea kayaking and glacier trekking. When not discovering the outdoors, Abbie spends her time preserving it. She was selected as a 2007 and 2008 Eco-Ambassador by The Weather Channel and was accepted to an environmental sustainability program at Brown University. Abbie then single-handed installed recycling bins for plastic bottles at her high school and sports field. Abbie continues to work hard preserving her local river and broadcasting the environmental word to her community.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...The reality is it is my son's body to do with as he chooses! ..."
- by reader This Chick
- by reader Dale
- by reader Erin
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- Wildlife thrives in 'the most dangerous place on Earth'
- Norwegian music stars Ylvis teach you how to tie the world's greatest knot
- 7 tiny homes that celebrate simple living
- 18 things you didn't know about dog paws
- 10 foods to improve your mood
- Too beautiful to be real? 16 surreal landscapes found on Earth
- 10 natural cough remedies
- Polynesian seafarers discovered America long before Europeans, says DNA study
- 26 photos of cats sleeping wherever they want, however they want