Abbie Cook is currently a junior at Owosso High School in Owosso, Mich. Her passion for saving the earth came from her family, who made sure she was always outside. Abbie has completed a 110-mile backpacking trek around Isle Royale, an island located in the middle of Lake Superior, and she has portaged in Killarney Provincial Park in Canada. The wilderness experience of lifetime came this summer when Abbie embarked on a three-week Alaskan backcountry trip which consisted of summiting a mountain, sea kayaking and glacier trekking. When not discovering the outdoors, Abbie spends her time preserving it. She was selected as a 2007 and 2008 Eco-Ambassador by The Weather Channel and was accepted to an environmental sustainability program at Brown University. Abbie then single-handed installed recycling bins for plastic bottles at her high school and sports field. Abbie continues to work hard preserving her local river and broadcasting the environmental word to her community.
Abbie's MOST RECENT COMMENTS
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...The reality is it is my son's body to do with as he chooses! ..."
- by reader This Chick
- by reader Dale
- by reader Erin
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- New quantum camera capable of snapping photos of 'ghosts'
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- 5 inspired pancake creations for back-to-school breakfast
- Could you survive being lost in the woods? Quiz
- 10 habits you should pick up from your grandmother
- 100 years later, the passenger pigeon still haunts us
- 18 things you didn't know about dog paws
- 14 photos of cats in action: Cats caught on camera
- Pharrell's 'Happy' is even happier in sign language
- Scientists achieve quantum teleportation of data with 100 percent accuracy