Abbie Cook is currently a junior at Owosso High School in Owosso, Mich. Her passion for saving the earth came from her family, who made sure she was always outside. Abbie has completed a 110-mile backpacking trek around Isle Royale, an island located in the middle of Lake Superior, and she has portaged in Killarney Provincial Park in Canada. The wilderness experience of lifetime came this summer when Abbie embarked on a three-week Alaskan backcountry trip which consisted of summiting a mountain, sea kayaking and glacier trekking. When not discovering the outdoors, Abbie spends her time preserving it. She was selected as a 2007 and 2008 Eco-Ambassador by The Weather Channel and was accepted to an environmental sustainability program at Brown University. Abbie then single-handed installed recycling bins for plastic bottles at her high school and sports field. Abbie continues to work hard preserving her local river and broadcasting the environmental word to her community.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...Broga? Really? Are they targeting college frat boys as a demo? ..."
- by reader StoJa
- by reader John M. Uscian
- by reader Highlowsel Smith
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- Dog captures images that grab his attention
- 30 words that are their own opposites
- 13 natural remedies for the ant invasion
- How to travel well when you have a 9-to-5 job
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- 12 plants that repel unwanted insects
- Morgan Freeman is now a beekeeper
- With Solar Energy Research Center, we're one step closer to making fuel from sunlight and CO2
- Does happiness have a scent?
- Egg-shaped hideaway gives whole new meaning to 'escape pod'