Celia & Lisa
Celia Lubin is a middle schooler who lives in Sitka, Alaska, which is on an island in the North Pacific. An accomplished swimmer and geography buff, Celia spends a lot of her free time out of doors -- biking, fishing and just tooling around on the beach. She has hiked the nearby volcano, Mt. Edgecumbe, several times before the age of 10. She camps with her family in the summer and sometimes accompanies her dad on the Esther G, the family boat, on wildlife tours. Lisa Busch produces a public radio program called Encounters, hosted by cultural anthropologist Richard Nelson and former NPR correspondent Elizabeth Arnold. The program is about the human relationship to nature and takes listeners to some of the wildest places in the North Country. A graduate of Tufts University, Lisa worked as a science reporter in Alaska for over 20 years, freelancing for Science, Popular Mechanics, Discover and U.S. News and World Report. She recently received a master's degree in Northern Studies from the University of Alaska Fairbanks, where it is very cold! She lives in Sitka with her two daughters, her wildlife tour guide husband, a standard poodle and four ducks. She runs, reads and hikes in her free time and volunteers with local arts education projects.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...The reality is it is my son's body to do with as he chooses! ..."
- by reader This Chick
- by reader Dale
- by reader Erin
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- Stray dog follows adventure race team for 430 miles
- 10 brain games to play with your dog
- Help! I forgot to thaw the turkey
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- 7 traits of people who are great at relationships
- Why do butterflies and moths have such detailed wings?
- Shelter dogs find love matches on Tinder
- Homemade driveway deicers: We tested it
- How the planets got their names
- 8 things you probably didn't know about the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade