Emily Goldstein is a freshman at the University of Louisville in Louisville, Ky. She was one of 16 teens chosen from around the world to study polar bears in the Arctic, and since then she has been educating the people of Louisville about climate change. Emily created a website on which people have pledged to reduce almost 16 million pounds of carbon emissions of energy use. She has given talks on climate change to over 1,000 people and has convinced dozens of companies to recycle and change their energy-use policies. Emily is also on the advisory panel of the National Environmental Education Foundation (www.neefusa.org), and she plans to get a PhD in wildlife conservation.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...The reality is it is my son's body to do with as he chooses! ..."
- by reader This Chick
- by reader Dale
- by reader Erin
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- 15 words you never knew came from literature
- 'Miracle Dogs' celebrates rescue dogs and their owners
- How to transform your sleep with the sun
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- 10 ways to give without buying stuff
- 17 things you didn't know you could do in a waffle iron
- Why a former NFL star gave up football to become a farmer
- Million-mummy cemetery unearthed in Egypt
- What is salt block cooking?
- How 'hygge' can help you get through winter