We just moved onto a piece of land outside Pretoria, the capitol of South Africa. 50 acres of land. We are converting the house, wells, outbuildings to solar electricity. Solar warm water systems had been set up and within the next year we want to move totally off the grid. Self sufficient in water, electricity and organic food. We are going to farm with vegetables, fruit, chickens and sheep. The Dormer sheep breed have been chosen by us because of it's fertility and being a South African breed it's well suited for our region. Organic Hydroponic systems will supply organic food for all the animals on the farm. We want to plant many trees, fruit trees and indigenous trees to create a healthy environment for man and animal, it will also help to keep all the rain water on our land and increase the water table. We have 2 wells supplying the land with water. This is an exciting project and I'll keep you all up to date with our progress.
gert.rensburg's MOST RECENT COMMENTS
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...The reality is it is my son's body to do with as he chooses! ..."
- by reader This Chick
- by reader Dale
- by reader Erin
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- What your feet say about your health
- 'Everlasting storm' has 1 million lightning strikes a year
- 5 tiny home design ideas worth stealing
- 12 illnesses that are commonly misdiagnosed
- What will humans look like in 100,000 years?
- 13 natural remedies for the ant invasion
- Too beautiful to be real? 16 surreal landscapes found on Earth
- Tyrannosaur 'gangs' terrorized ancient landscape
- Are you seafood savvy? Quiz