We just moved onto a piece of land outside Pretoria, the capitol of South Africa. 50 acres of land. We are converting the house, wells, outbuildings to solar electricity. Solar warm water systems had been set up and within the next year we want to move totally off the grid. Self sufficient in water, electricity and organic food. We are going to farm with vegetables, fruit, chickens and sheep. The Dormer sheep breed have been chosen by us because of it's fertility and being a South African breed it's well suited for our region. Organic Hydroponic systems will supply organic food for all the animals on the farm. We want to plant many trees, fruit trees and indigenous trees to create a healthy environment for man and animal, it will also help to keep all the rain water on our land and increase the water table. We have 2 wells supplying the land with water. This is an exciting project and I'll keep you all up to date with our progress.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...Broga? Really? Are they targeting college frat boys as a demo? ..."
- by reader StoJa
- by reader John M. Uscian
- by reader Highlowsel Smith
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- 'Tattoos & Rescues': Photo project demolishes 2 stereotypes at once
- Dog captures images that grab his attention
- 30 words that are their own opposites
- Berkeley collects $116,000 in 1st month of soda tax
- 13 natural remedies for the ant invasion
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- How to travel well when you have a 9-to-5 job
- Does happiness have a scent?
- 12 plants that repel unwanted insects
- 15 obsolete words we should still be using