We just moved onto a piece of land outside Pretoria, the capitol of South Africa. 50 acres of land. We are converting the house, wells, outbuildings to solar electricity. Solar warm water systems had been set up and within the next year we want to move totally off the grid. Self sufficient in water, electricity and organic food. We are going to farm with vegetables, fruit, chickens and sheep. The Dormer sheep breed have been chosen by us because of it's fertility and being a South African breed it's well suited for our region. Organic Hydroponic systems will supply organic food for all the animals on the farm. We want to plant many trees, fruit trees and indigenous trees to create a healthy environment for man and animal, it will also help to keep all the rain water on our land and increase the water table. We have 2 wells supplying the land with water. This is an exciting project and I'll keep you all up to date with our progress.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...The reality is it is my son's body to do with as he chooses! ..."
- by reader This Chick
- by reader Dale
- by reader Erin
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- Parallel worlds exist and interact with our world, say physicists
- 7 cultural concepts we don't have in the U.S.
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- 12 health benefits of apple cider vinegar
- How fluent are you in dog-speak?
- Why are some people colder than others?
- Too beautiful to be real? 16 surreal landscapes found on Earth
- 13 surprising home remedies for acid reflux
- New quantum camera capable of snapping photos of 'ghosts'
- How are thieves breaking into these cars?