We just moved onto a piece of land outside Pretoria, the capitol of South Africa. 50 acres of land. We are converting the house, wells, outbuildings to solar electricity. Solar warm water systems had been set up and within the next year we want to move totally off the grid. Self sufficient in water, electricity and organic food. We are going to farm with vegetables, fruit, chickens and sheep. The Dormer sheep breed have been chosen by us because of it's fertility and being a South African breed it's well suited for our region. Organic Hydroponic systems will supply organic food for all the animals on the farm. We want to plant many trees, fruit trees and indigenous trees to create a healthy environment for man and animal, it will also help to keep all the rain water on our land and increase the water table. We have 2 wells supplying the land with water. This is an exciting project and I'll keep you all up to date with our progress.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...I'm sorry, but if my child were in a class with these two, I would pull him out...."
- by reader Karen
- by reader Tara
- by reader Kaiyotee
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- Parallel worlds exist and interact with our world, say physicists
- 13 natural remedies for the ant invasion
- Cities around the world to dim lights for Earth Hour
- Can you identify these trees based on their flowers?
- Need a dose of happy? Watch this video
- Your eyeballs can now be injected with night vision
- 7 cultural concepts we don't have in the U.S.
- How a patio planter can grow fresher, easier veggies
- 21 reasons why forests are important