"This is what you shall do; Love the earth and sun and the animals, despise riches, give alms to everyone that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown or to any man or number of men, go freely with powerful uneducated persons and with the young and with the mothers of families, read these leaves in the open air every season of every year of your life, re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency not only ...in its words but in the silent lines of its lips and face and between the lashes of your eyes and in every motion and joint of your body."
— Walt Whitman
jessicapaulinepratt's MOST RECENT COMMENTS
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...The reality is it is my son's body to do with as he chooses! ..."
- by reader This Chick
- by reader Dale
- by reader Erin
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- How extensive is California's drought? Compare the photos
- Is heat trapped in the ocean responsible for the global warming 'pause'?
- 36 random animal facts that may surprise you
- Watch Wounda the chimpanzee hug Jane Goodall after being released into the wild
- Can you identify these famous buildings? MNN quiz
- Take a classic road trip on America's longest highway
- 23 temples in nature: Engulfed by nature
- Why do dogs tilt their heads when we speak?
- Spiders love city life, grow larger than their country kin