"This is what you shall do; Love the earth and sun and the animals, despise riches, give alms to everyone that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown or to any man or number of men, go freely with powerful uneducated persons and with the young and with the mothers of families, read these leaves in the open air every season of every year of your life, re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency not only ...in its words but in the silent lines of its lips and face and between the lashes of your eyes and in every motion and joint of your body."
— Walt Whitman
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...The reality is it is my son's body to do with as he chooses! ..."
- by reader This Chick
- by reader Dale
- by reader Erin
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- How 'hygge' can help you get through winter
- 10 recipes for Brussels sprouts that will make them your new favorite vegetable
- Why do dogs tilt their heads when we speak?
- Wolf traveled more than 450 miles to Grand Canyon
- Are we heading for a new 'Mass Extinction?'
- Why is it so hard to walk and not spill your coffee? Physicists have the answer
- Help! I forgot to thaw the turkey
- 14 stunning portraits show the beauty of black and white wildlife photography
- What your sleep position says about you