"This is what you shall do; Love the earth and sun and the animals, despise riches, give alms to everyone that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown or to any man or number of men, go freely with powerful uneducated persons and with the young and with the mothers of families, read these leaves in the open air every season of every year of your life, re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency not only ...in its words but in the silent lines of its lips and face and between the lashes of your eyes and in every motion and joint of your body."
— Walt Whitman
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...I'm sorry, but if my child were in a class with these two, I would pull him out...."
- by reader Karen
- by reader Tara
- by reader Kaiyotee
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- Can you identify these trees based on their flowers?
- The Grand Canyon is under attack (from humans)
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- Mother's photos glorify a mermaid's adventures
- Parallel worlds exist and interact with our world, say physicists
- Need a dose of happy? Watch this video
- 13 surprising home remedies for acid reflux
- 13 natural remedies for the ant invasion
- Immortal jellyfish: Does it really live forever?
- Too beautiful to be real? 16 surreal landscapes found on Earth