Joshua Morrison is a junior at Jacksonville High School in Jacksonville, Ala. He's been an environmentalist since the age of 6, after hearing "The Lorax" by Dr. Seuss (he was moved by the line, "Unless someone like you cares an awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.”) At eight, he wrote and directed an EE play for the Smithsonian Affiliated Anniston Museum of Natural History that was performed for thousands of museum visitors. Over the past five years, Joshua has assisted Jacksonville State University’s Little River Canyon Field School by developing and implementing EE creative drama programs and nature camps for inner city and underserved audiences. He led the formation of an organization called GEEKs in the Woods (GIW), which encourages Gen Y members to get outside and play, while promoting technology as a tool for EE. GIW gave Josh the voice of his generation, so when the American Recreation Coalition and the USDA Forest Service invited Josh to Washington, D.C., to speak at the American Academy of Science on behalf of the More Kids in the Woods national initiative, Josh was able to speak to adults about getting Gen Y reconnected with the natural world on a global level. He has earned the titles of Eco-Ambassador and Eco-Rockstar from the Weather Channel. Richard Louv, author of the best-selling book, "Last Child in the Woods," has called Joshua “the voice of his generation." Joshua is currently helping to develop programs for his high school Explorer Club, creating programs for upcoming nature camps, and he is writing a science fiction novel that reveals the long-term impact of a generation of humans who don’t care for their planet and the hope of change.
Joshua's MOST RECENT COMMENTS
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...The reality is it is my son's body to do with as he chooses! ..."
- by reader This Chick
- by reader Dale
- by reader Erin
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- Make ice cream in 5 minutes with one ingredient
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- Which of the 8 kinds of intelligence do you have?
- 13 natural remedies for the ant invasion
- What's a Twike? It's half-bike, half-electric car
- Too beautiful to be real? 16 surreal landscapes found on Earth
- 15 of the most toxic places to live: Apocalypse now?
- New quantum camera capable of snapping photos of 'ghosts'
- 10 natural cough remedies
- Massive online brain being built for the world's robots