Joshua Morrison is a junior at Jacksonville High School in Jacksonville, Ala. He's been an environmentalist since the age of 6, after hearing "The Lorax" by Dr. Seuss (he was moved by the line, "Unless someone like you cares an awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.”) At eight, he wrote and directed an EE play for the Smithsonian Affiliated Anniston Museum of Natural History that was performed for thousands of museum visitors. Over the past five years, Joshua has assisted Jacksonville State University’s Little River Canyon Field School by developing and implementing EE creative drama programs and nature camps for inner city and underserved audiences. He led the formation of an organization called GEEKs in the Woods (GIW), which encourages Gen Y members to get outside and play, while promoting technology as a tool for EE. GIW gave Josh the voice of his generation, so when the American Recreation Coalition and the USDA Forest Service invited Josh to Washington, D.C., to speak at the American Academy of Science on behalf of the More Kids in the Woods national initiative, Josh was able to speak to adults about getting Gen Y reconnected with the natural world on a global level. He has earned the titles of Eco-Ambassador and Eco-Rockstar from the Weather Channel. Richard Louv, author of the best-selling book, "Last Child in the Woods," has called Joshua “the voice of his generation." Joshua is currently helping to develop programs for his high school Explorer Club, creating programs for upcoming nature camps, and he is writing a science fiction novel that reveals the long-term impact of a generation of humans who don’t care for their planet and the hope of change.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...I'm sorry, but if my child were in a class with these two, I would pull him out...."
- by reader Karen
- by reader Tara
- by reader Kaiyotee
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- How long would it take to fall through a hole in the Earth?
- Your eyeballs can now be injected with night vision
- 13 natural remedies for the ant invasion
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- How to make overnight oats
- 7 cultural concepts we don't have in the U.S.
- 11 human foods dogs can eat and 5 they shouldn't
- IKEA's 'Better Shelter' refugee housing units heading to Iraq
- Parallel worlds exist and interact with our world, say physicists
- How to get rid of wasps naturally