Jim is a freelance journalist, speaker, book author, radio personality and expert on all things environmental.
Jim is a regular contributor to The New York Times’ "Automobiles" section. He also contributes to PlugInCars.com, is a blogger at NPR's Car Talk, and writes in-depth environmental reports for the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania. He contributes “Green Living” to the Environmental Defense Fund newsletter and writes for Success Magazine, Men's Journal, AMC Outdoors, Audubon, Popular Mechanics, The Nation, The Boston Globe, Philadelphia Review, Salon, Grist, The Guardian, Tomorrow Magazine, Greenwich Magazine, Sierra and many other newspapers, magazines, and websites. He is a two-time winner of the Global Media Award from the Population Institute, and has shared his environmental expertise in radio interviews across the country.
His books include Naked in the Woods: Joseph Knowles and the Legacy of Frontier Fakery,Forward Drive: The Race to Build "Clean" Cars for the Future and Feeling the Heat: Dispatches from the Frontlines of Climate Change. His most recent book is High Voltage: The Fast Track to Plug In the Auto Industry (Routledge, 2011)
Jim spent 14 years as editor of E/The Environmental Magazine, a national bi-monthly. He has also served as executive editor for New Mass Media and edited an alternative news weekly. He is a member of the Society for Environmental Journalists (SEJ) and has taught journalism at Fairfield University and University of Connecticut. He hosts a bi-weekly public affairs and music radio show on listener-sponsored WPKN-FM. He lectures frequently about transportation and climate change.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...I'm sorry, but if my child were in a class with these two, I would pull him out...."
- by reader Karen
- by reader Tara
- by reader Kaiyotee
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- 11 quirky travel destinations for cat people
- Need a dose of happy? Watch this video
- World's cutest endangered animal photographed for first time in over 2 decades
- This might be the best video of lava you've ever seen
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- Parallel worlds exist and interact with our world, say physicists
- 13 natural remedies for the ant invasion
- Why the world's happiest people are found in Latin America
- 7 cultural concepts we don't have in the U.S.
- 15 famous people who mysteriously disappeared