Jim is a freelance journalist, speaker, book author, radio personality and expert on all things environmental.
Jim is a regular contributor to The New York Times’ "Automobiles" section. He also contributes to PlugInCars.com, is a blogger at NPR's Car Talk, and writes in-depth environmental reports for the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania. He contributes “Green Living” to the Environmental Defense Fund newsletter and writes for Success Magazine, Men's Journal, AMC Outdoors, Audubon, Popular Mechanics, The Nation, The Boston Globe, Philadelphia Review, Salon, Grist, The Guardian, Tomorrow Magazine, Greenwich Magazine, Sierra and many other newspapers, magazines, and websites. He is a two-time winner of the Global Media Award from the Population Institute, and has shared his environmental expertise in radio interviews across the country.
His books include Naked in the Woods: Joseph Knowles and the Legacy of Frontier Fakery,Forward Drive: The Race to Build "Clean" Cars for the Future and Feeling the Heat: Dispatches from the Frontlines of Climate Change. His most recent book is High Voltage: The Fast Track to Plug In the Auto Industry (Routledge, 2011)
Jim spent 14 years as editor of E/The Environmental Magazine, a national bi-monthly. He has also served as executive editor for New Mass Media and edited an alternative news weekly. He is a member of the Society for Environmental Journalists (SEJ) and has taught journalism at Fairfield University and University of Connecticut. He hosts a bi-weekly public affairs and music radio show on listener-sponsored WPKN-FM. He lectures frequently about transportation and climate change.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...The reality is it is my son's body to do with as he chooses! ..."
- by reader This Chick
- by reader Dale
- by reader Erin
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- Weird cloud on radar maps wasn't caused by weather
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- Why living small means living happily ever after
- 12 recipes for beans, the super-est of superfoods
- Take a chance on these 8 thrilling suspension walkways
- Why dogs don't like to be hugged
- 13 natural remedies for the ant invasion
- 8 ways to make your mornings more pleasant (and productive)
- How the rest of the world brushes their teeth
- The seven stones of simpler living