John R. Platt is a freelance journalist specializing in environmental issues, cutting-edge technology, and entrepreneurship. He writes about endangered species for Scientific American and green technology for several publishers. John lives on the coast of Maine where he spends his spare time drawing cartoons. Visit him online at www.johnrplatt.com.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...There may very well be wood types that are best split green, but red oak isn't one of them...."
- by reader LKS473
- by reader Steven
- by reader Erin
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- Little girl feeds crows; in return, they bring her gifts
- 5 single-serve items to purge from your life
- How to hike with your cat
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- 7 cultural concepts we don't have in the U.S.
- What is the blue hour? Learn about this magic time between daylight and darkness
- What is freezing fog?
- Newborn orca calves make waves in Pacific Northwest
- Bras don't actually work, says French study
- 13 natural remedies for the ant invasion