John R. Platt is a freelance journalist specializing in environmental issues, cutting-edge technology, and entrepreneurship. He writes about endangered species for Scientific American and green technology for several publishers. John lives on the coast of Maine where he spends his spare time drawing cartoons. Visit him online at www.johnrplatt.com.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...There may very well be wood types that are best split green, but red oak isn't one of them...."
- by reader LKS473
- by reader Steven
- by reader Erin
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- What is freezing fog?
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- Portraits of fellas and their felines subvert 'crazy cat lady' theme
- 7 things I wish someone told me before I adopted a dog
- 15 famous people who mysteriously disappeared
- 23 adorable photos that will change the way you think about rats
- Baobab: The 'superfood' that saves lives
- 7 inspiring, badass women
- Apples are still the dirtiest of the Dirty Dozen
- 7 cultural concepts we don't have in the U.S.