Kel is a Master Gardener, Master Composter/ Recycler, and Naturally Beautiful Backyards Host Gardener (2007, 2008). She has lived in USDA Zone 8 (Western Garden Zone 6) for most of her life and just recently relocated to Zone 5!
Her blog at Kelsgardenjournal.com chronicles the planning and establishment of a 6,000 sq foot Suburban lot and the subsequent transition to a 5,000 sq ft Urban lot. Current entries chronicle a 7,000 sq ft lot in a historical district.
Kel began gardening in 2004. Her first gardening project was to establish a butterfly habitat garden and multi-use space for a young family. Her next project was the development of an urban pollinator habitat and a 10 month edible garden.
Kel continues to pursue educational opportunities and holds an Organic Gardening certificate from OSU Extension. She has worked as an environmental educator in a range of positions including curriculum development and career & technical training at the high school level. Kel has been featured in The Columbian, Edible Portland and NorthBank Now.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...The reality is it is my son's body to do with as he chooses! ..."
- by reader This Chick
- by reader Dale
- by reader Erin
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- The best workouts for your body shape
- 15 famous people who mysteriously disappeared
- 10 natural cough remedies
- 12 amazing places to sleep before you turn 50
- 7 tiny homes that celebrate simple living
- 10 tips for starting a plant-based diet
- Traveling on the billion-bug highway
- Dancers add imagination in unexpected places
- Say what? 11 untranslatable words from other cultures [Infographic]