What's on your mind? Don't be shy! Let people know what you are thinking.
Kel is a Master Gardener, Master Composter/ Recycler, and Naturally Beautiful Backyards Host Gardener (2007, 2008). She has lived in USDA Zone 8 (Western Garden Zone 6) for most of her life and just recently relocated to Zone 5!
Her blog at Kelsgardenjournal.com chronicles the planning and establishment of a 6,000 sq foot Suburban lot and the subsequent transition to a 5,000 sq ft Urban lot. Current entries chronicle a 7,000 sq ft lot in a historical district.
Kel began gardening in 2004. Her first gardening project was to establish a butterfly habitat garden and multi-use space for a young family. Her next project was the development of an urban pollinator habitat and a 10 month edible garden.
Kel continues to pursue educational opportunities and holds an Organic Gardening certificate from OSU Extension. She has worked as an environmental educator in a range of positions including curriculum development and career & technical training at the high school level. Kel has been featured in The Columbian, Edible Portland and NorthBank Now.
- I am going to do a chemical/toxin audit of my home
- I will actually use my reusable bags
- I will eat more meals at home
- I will get my kids (and myself!) outside more this year
- I will make my home more energy-efficient
- I will read three environmentally themed books this year
- I will recycle my old electronics & not throw them away before I buy any new gadgets
- I will reduce my business-related carbon footprint by telecommuting (presented by iMeet)
- I will support my local and green businesses this year
- I will walk one place each week instead of driving there