A year of the keyboard’s quiet clicks
scripting dull white pages into life
has taught me much of our acquaintance:
that you are the desk-bound force, drinking tea
or fair-trade coffee behind an invisible face
in Paonia, or Westchester, or Uruguay;
and that I am as the woman veiled by rain
who passed you at the bus stop or the city park,
her quick step seeming almost familiar.
And yet. I do not know you, readers, from the crowd,
but I recognize your unceasing scrolls
seeking to uncover the answers and questions,
question the answers, about our world:
this curious place we call home.
And that is why I hope my passing words,
sweat-molded musings of a changing West,
remain, for you, something almost familiar:
a recognition of kindred spirits,
willing to defend, driven to learn.
A published author with a B.A. in environmental writing, Lauren became MNN's first Colorado Correspondent in early 2009. When not at the keyboard or developing her nature photography portfolio, she can be found snowboarding, rock climbing, hiking, caving, or exploring other outdoor adventures across the United States.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...I'm sorry, but if my child were in a class with these two, I would pull him out...."
- by reader Karen
- by reader Tara
- by reader Kaiyotee
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- Which of the 8 kinds of intelligence do you have?
- 8 adorable videos of baby animals taking baths
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- 12 tips for kicking the refined sugar habit
- 6 ways to annoy a pregnant woman
- How to survive a bear attack
- 13 natural remedies for the ant invasion
- 7 cultural concepts we don't have in the U.S.
- Quokka selfies are taking the Internet by storm
- 13 surprising home remedies for acid reflux