A year of the keyboard’s quiet clicks
scripting dull white pages into life
has taught me much of our acquaintance:
that you are the desk-bound force, drinking tea
or fair-trade coffee behind an invisible face
in Paonia, or Westchester, or Uruguay;
and that I am as the woman veiled by rain
who passed you at the bus stop or the city park,
her quick step seeming almost familiar.
And yet. I do not know you, readers, from the crowd,
but I recognize your unceasing scrolls
seeking to uncover the answers and questions,
question the answers, about our world:
this curious place we call home.
And that is why I hope my passing words,
sweat-molded musings of a changing West,
remain, for you, something almost familiar:
a recognition of kindred spirits,
willing to defend, driven to learn.
A published author with a B.A. in environmental writing, Lauren became MNN's first Colorado Correspondent in early 2009. When not at the keyboard or developing her nature photography portfolio, she can be found snowboarding, rock climbing, hiking, caving, or exploring other outdoor adventures across the United States.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...The reality is it is my son's body to do with as he chooses! ..."
- by reader This Chick
- by reader Dale
- by reader Erin
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- Would you believe these award-winning photographs were captured with an iPhone?
- 25 creative ways to help animal shelters
- 5 sadly common reasons people fall out of love
- Watch: A forest year
- Oats: 12 recipes to get this super grain into your diet
- 13 surprising home remedies for acid reflux
- 10 natural cough remedies
- Edible plants you can find in the wild (or your backyard)
- Watch Wounda the chimpanzee hug Jane Goodall after being released into the wild