A year of the keyboard’s quiet clicks
scripting dull white pages into life
has taught me much of our acquaintance:
that you are the desk-bound force, drinking tea
or fair-trade coffee behind an invisible face
in Paonia, or Westchester, or Uruguay;
and that I am as the woman veiled by rain
who passed you at the bus stop or the city park,
her quick step seeming almost familiar.
And yet. I do not know you, readers, from the crowd,
but I recognize your unceasing scrolls
seeking to uncover the answers and questions,
question the answers, about our world:
this curious place we call home.
And that is why I hope my passing words,
sweat-molded musings of a changing West,
remain, for you, something almost familiar:
a recognition of kindred spirits,
willing to defend, driven to learn.
A published author with a B.A. in environmental writing, Lauren became MNN's first Colorado Correspondent in early 2009. When not at the keyboard or developing her nature photography portfolio, she can be found snowboarding, rock climbing, hiking, caving, or exploring other outdoor adventures across the United States.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...The reality is it is my son's body to do with as he chooses! ..."
- by reader This Chick
- by reader Dale
- by reader Erin
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- 5 surefire ways to kill a houseplant
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- 12 recipes for beans, the super-est of superfoods
- Weird cloud on radar maps wasn't caused by weather
- 10 natural cough remedies
- Take a chance on these 8 thrilling suspension walkways
- Why dogs don't like to be hugged
- Do foods taste the same to animals as they do to us?
- The seven stones of simpler living
- Why living small means living happily ever after