We live in the foothills of Sequoia National Park, in a log home that is completely off grid. We have 'normal' AC electricity in our home, powered by a photovoltaic system and backup propane generator. We have a 1/4 acre garden, and at the time of this writing, we have 18 grown chickens (6 roosters, 12 hens), 5 'teenage' chickens, and 1 young chick. Our chickens have grown up as free range, but we have 2 new pups that have been much more difficult to train than our other 2 dogs were as pups, so the chickens unfortunately have been cooped up (pun totally intended) since we got the pups.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...The reality is it is my son's body to do with as he chooses! ..."
- by reader This Chick
- by reader Dale
- by reader Erin
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- Parallel worlds exist and interact with our world, say physicists
- Internet emits collective 'aww' for this cat's unique face
- 7 cultural concepts we don't have in the U.S.
- 10 habits you should pick up from your grandmother
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- Kimchi: Recipe
- I heart the Fitbit Charge HR, and here's why
- Lying on social media may damage your memories
- 15 famous people who mysteriously disappeared
- Understanding types of oatmeal