We live in the foothills of Sequoia National Park, in a log home that is completely off grid. We have 'normal' AC electricity in our home, powered by a photovoltaic system and backup propane generator. We have a 1/4 acre garden, and at the time of this writing, we have 18 grown chickens (6 roosters, 12 hens), 5 'teenage' chickens, and 1 young chick. Our chickens have grown up as free range, but we have 2 new pups that have been much more difficult to train than our other 2 dogs were as pups, so the chickens unfortunately have been cooped up (pun totally intended) since we got the pups.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...The reality is it is my son's body to do with as he chooses! ..."
- by reader This Chick
- by reader Dale
- by reader Erin
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- Norwegian music stars Ylvis teach you how to tie the world's greatest knot
- 18 things you didn't know about dog paws
- Wildlife thrives in 'the most dangerous place on Earth'
- Know your movie quotes? Take the quiz
- Hyperemesis gravidarum is not morning sickness
- 7 tiny homes that celebrate simple living
- 10 foods to improve your mood
- 10 ways to get 10 minutes of exercise
- 10 natural cough remedies