We live in the foothills of Sequoia National Park, in a log home that is completely off grid. We have 'normal' AC electricity in our home, powered by a photovoltaic system and backup propane generator. We have a 1/4 acre garden, and at the time of this writing, we have 18 grown chickens (6 roosters, 12 hens), 5 'teenage' chickens, and 1 young chick. Our chickens have grown up as free range, but we have 2 new pups that have been much more difficult to train than our other 2 dogs were as pups, so the chickens unfortunately have been cooped up (pun totally intended) since we got the pups.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...There may very well be wood types that are best split green, but red oak isn't one of them...."
- by reader LKS473
- by reader Steven
- by reader Erin
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- 8 life lessons we learned from Dr. Seuss
- Little girl feeds crows; in return, they bring her gifts
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- 7 cultural concepts we don't have in the U.S.
- 22 words you're probably saying wrong
- When zombie apocalypse comes, head for the Rockies
- 7 little-known side effects of daylight saving time
- The Barefoot Farmer grows more than food
- Parallel worlds exist and interact with our world, say physicists
- Which of the 8 kinds of intelligence do you have?