We live in the foothills of Sequoia National Park, in a log home that is completely off grid. We have 'normal' AC electricity in our home, powered by a photovoltaic system and backup propane generator. We have a 1/4 acre garden, and at the time of this writing, we have 18 grown chickens (6 roosters, 12 hens), 5 'teenage' chickens, and 1 young chick. Our chickens have grown up as free range, but we have 2 new pups that have been much more difficult to train than our other 2 dogs were as pups, so the chickens unfortunately have been cooped up (pun totally intended) since we got the pups.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...The reality is it is my son's body to do with as he chooses! ..."
- by reader This Chick
- by reader Dale
- by reader Erin
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- How 'hygge' can help you get through winter
- This balance test could predict your risk of stroke
- 59 ways to live a longer life
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- What are the hardest languages to learn?
- 10 ways to give without buying stuff
- 10 natural cough remedies
- 13 natural remedies for the ant invasion
- This simple sitting test could predict how long you will live
- 6 things you probably didn't know about 'It's a Wonderful Life'