We live in the foothills of Sequoia National Park, in a log home that is completely off grid. We have 'normal' AC electricity in our home, powered by a photovoltaic system and backup propane generator. We have a 1/4 acre garden, and at the time of this writing, we have 18 grown chickens (6 roosters, 12 hens), 5 'teenage' chickens, and 1 young chick. Our chickens have grown up as free range, but we have 2 new pups that have been much more difficult to train than our other 2 dogs were as pups, so the chickens unfortunately have been cooped up (pun totally intended) since we got the pups.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...The reality is it is my son's body to do with as he chooses! ..."
- by reader This Chick
- by reader Dale
- by reader Erin
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- The best workouts for your body shape
- Kindness of strangers is Christmas miracle for dying woman and her cat
- 15 famous people who mysteriously disappeared
- Say what? 11 untranslatable words from other cultures [Infographic]
- How often do you really need to shower?
- 10 health benefits of honey
- 13 surprising home remedies for acid reflux
- 8 habits of happy people
- 10 of the world's biggest unsolved mysteries: Go figure