We live in the foothills of Sequoia National Park, in a log home that is completely off grid. We have 'normal' AC electricity in our home, powered by a photovoltaic system and backup propane generator. We have a 1/4 acre garden, and at the time of this writing, we have 18 grown chickens (6 roosters, 12 hens), 5 'teenage' chickens, and 1 young chick. Our chickens have grown up as free range, but we have 2 new pups that have been much more difficult to train than our other 2 dogs were as pups, so the chickens unfortunately have been cooped up (pun totally intended) since we got the pups.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...The reality is it is my son's body to do with as he chooses! ..."
- by reader This Chick
- by reader Dale
- by reader Erin
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- Food fraud: 10 counterfeit products we commonly consume
- What your blood type says about you
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- 'Old Faithful' dogs get their moment in the sun
- Best air-filtering houseplants, according to NASA
- 13 fangtastic facts about Dracula
- What to pack for a hike: 10 essential items
- 13 surprising home remedies for acid reflux
- How a viable nuclear fusion reactor really could change the world
- How often do you really need to shower?