We live in the foothills of Sequoia National Park, in a log home that is completely off grid. We have 'normal' AC electricity in our home, powered by a photovoltaic system and backup propane generator. We have a 1/4 acre garden, and at the time of this writing, we have 18 grown chickens (6 roosters, 12 hens), 5 'teenage' chickens, and 1 young chick. Our chickens have grown up as free range, but we have 2 new pups that have been much more difficult to train than our other 2 dogs were as pups, so the chickens unfortunately have been cooped up (pun totally intended) since we got the pups.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...Broga? Really? Are they targeting college frat boys as a demo? ..."
- by reader StoJa
- by reader John M. Uscian
- by reader Highlowsel Smith
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- Egg-shaped hideaway gives whole new meaning to 'escape pod'
- 13 natural remedies for the ant invasion
- 12 plants that repel unwanted insects
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- Morgan Freeman is now a beekeeper
- 15 famous people who mysteriously disappeared
- Epsom salt bath: Why it's so good for you
- Map points the way for the ultimate U.S. road trip
- Madagascar's panther chameleon is really 11 separate species
- Best beach of 2015 is off the beaten path