We live in the foothills of Sequoia National Park, in a log home that is completely off grid. We have 'normal' AC electricity in our home, powered by a photovoltaic system and backup propane generator. We have a 1/4 acre garden, and at the time of this writing, we have 18 grown chickens (6 roosters, 12 hens), 5 'teenage' chickens, and 1 young chick. Our chickens have grown up as free range, but we have 2 new pups that have been much more difficult to train than our other 2 dogs were as pups, so the chickens unfortunately have been cooped up (pun totally intended) since we got the pups.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...The reality is it is my son's body to do with as he chooses! ..."
- by reader This Chick
- by reader Dale
- by reader Erin
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- 10 beautifully useful things made from 'useless' trash
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- 10 recipes for Brussels sprouts that will make them your new favorite vegetable
- How to help stray animals survive the winter
- 10 natural cough remedies
- 14 stunning portraits show the beauty of black and white wildlife photography
- Too beautiful to be real? 16 surreal landscapes found on Earth
- How 'hygge' can help you get through winter
- Help! I forgot to thaw the turkey
- Are we heading for a new 'Mass Extinction?'