We live in the foothills of Sequoia National Park, in a log home that is completely off grid. We have 'normal' AC electricity in our home, powered by a photovoltaic system and backup propane generator. We have a 1/4 acre garden, and at the time of this writing, we have 18 grown chickens (6 roosters, 12 hens), 5 'teenage' chickens, and 1 young chick. Our chickens have grown up as free range, but we have 2 new pups that have been much more difficult to train than our other 2 dogs were as pups, so the chickens unfortunately have been cooped up (pun totally intended) since we got the pups.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"..."Please" and "Thank You" are two tiny words that need to come back into our vocabulary. ..."
- by reader Kristal
"...Every drop of water matters...."
- by reader GhhShirley
- by reader Free Voice
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- Cryosleep: It's not just science fiction anymore
- Thanks bro! 9 videos of humans giving animals a helping hand
- 13 natural remedies for the ant invasion
- 25 of the cutest bat species
- 6 time-tested ways to revitalize your metabolism
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- How to get rid of wasps naturally
- The mystery of the Marfa Lights
- High-tech car theft with a $17 device
- 17 surprisingly real animals