We live in the foothills of Sequoia National Park, in a log home that is completely off grid. We have 'normal' AC electricity in our home, powered by a photovoltaic system and backup propane generator. We have a 1/4 acre garden, and at the time of this writing, we have 18 grown chickens (6 roosters, 12 hens), 5 'teenage' chickens, and 1 young chick. Our chickens have grown up as free range, but we have 2 new pups that have been much more difficult to train than our other 2 dogs were as pups, so the chickens unfortunately have been cooped up (pun totally intended) since we got the pups.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...The reality is it is my son's body to do with as he chooses! ..."
- by reader This Chick
- by reader Dale
- by reader Erin
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- 15 words you never knew came from literature
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- 10 ways graphene could change the world
- 10 natural cough remedies
- Say what? 11 untranslatable words from other cultures [Infographic]
- 10 ways to give without buying stuff
- Is your goat happy? Here's how you can tell
- What is salt block cooking?
- 13 natural remedies for the ant invasion
- 5 fun family games for Christmas