Laura Wood is a senior environmental science major at the University of Maine, Orono, with a concentration in natural resource management. She has played an active role on campus working with the Green Campus Initiative and Property Management in promoting recycling programs and composting at dining facilities. She has volunteered to help families who live in "the Dump" in Managua, Nicaragua, has lobbied for international family planning at the House and Senate in Washington, D.C., and has cleaned beaches in the Florida Keys for a sea turtle habitat restoration project. All these experiences have propelled her into the field of sustainable waste management. Outside of the classroom, she loves traveling, wearing pink, sea-kayaking and drawing.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...The reality is it is my son's body to do with as he chooses! ..."
- by reader This Chick
- by reader Dale
- by reader Erin
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- How to keep scratch-happy cats off furniture
- How 'hygge' can help you get through winter
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- 18 foods that fight common ailments
- 27 gourmet vegetarian recipes for Christmas dinner
- 10 ways to get 10 minutes of exercise
- What will humans look like in 100,000 years?
- Conceptual photographer pays homage to the mysterious work of Costica Acsinte
- 7 signs we are too dependent on technology
- 5 unusual ways to keep your house warm