Laura Wood is a senior environmental science major at the University of Maine, Orono, with a concentration in natural resource management. She has played an active role on campus working with the Green Campus Initiative and Property Management in promoting recycling programs and composting at dining facilities. She has volunteered to help families who live in "the Dump" in Managua, Nicaragua, has lobbied for international family planning at the House and Senate in Washington, D.C., and has cleaned beaches in the Florida Keys for a sea turtle habitat restoration project. All these experiences have propelled her into the field of sustainable waste management. Outside of the classroom, she loves traveling, wearing pink, sea-kayaking and drawing.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"..."Please" and "Thank You" are two tiny words that need to come back into our vocabulary. ..."
- by reader Kristal
"...Every drop of water matters...."
- by reader GhhShirley
- by reader Free Voice
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- 13 natural remedies for the ant invasion
- Have you ever seen a bear boogie?
- Should you share your bed with your cat?
- 7 yoga teachers who have changed the practice
- What does the length of your fingers say about you?
- Wild mushrooms: What to eat, what to avoid
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- How to make overnight oats
- 7 cultural concepts we don't have in the U.S.
- 13 surprising home remedies for acid reflux