Laura Wood is a senior environmental science major at the University of Maine, Orono, with a concentration in natural resource management. She has played an active role on campus working with the Green Campus Initiative and Property Management in promoting recycling programs and composting at dining facilities. She has volunteered to help families who live in "the Dump" in Managua, Nicaragua, has lobbied for international family planning at the House and Senate in Washington, D.C., and has cleaned beaches in the Florida Keys for a sea turtle habitat restoration project. All these experiences have propelled her into the field of sustainable waste management. Outside of the classroom, she loves traveling, wearing pink, sea-kayaking and drawing.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...The reality is it is my son's body to do with as he chooses! ..."
- by reader This Chick
- by reader Dale
- by reader Erin
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- 7 cultural concepts we don't have in the U.S.
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- Parallel worlds exist and interact with our world, say physicists
- How do you know if your sugar is vegan?
- Scientists successfully generate gasoline out of thin air
- 25 quotes that will rekindle your connection to nature
- Guns really do change the way you think
- 10 habits you should pick up from your grandmother
- 6 haunting songs sung by whales
- 15 famous people who mysteriously disappeared