Laura Wood is a senior environmental science major at the University of Maine, Orono, with a concentration in natural resource management. She has played an active role on campus working with the Green Campus Initiative and Property Management in promoting recycling programs and composting at dining facilities. She has volunteered to help families who live in "the Dump" in Managua, Nicaragua, has lobbied for international family planning at the House and Senate in Washington, D.C., and has cleaned beaches in the Florida Keys for a sea turtle habitat restoration project. All these experiences have propelled her into the field of sustainable waste management. Outside of the classroom, she loves traveling, wearing pink, sea-kayaking and drawing.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...The reality is it is my son's body to do with as he chooses! ..."
- by reader This Chick
- by reader Dale
- by reader Erin
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- The surprising health benefits of ginger
- 10 natural cough remedies
- Use baking soda for easy-to-peel hard-boiled eggs
- Puppy-sized spider surprises and scares scientist
- Watch: A forest year
- What will humans look like in 100,000 years?
- 7 traits of people who are great at relationships
- 25 creative ways to help animal shelters
- How to see the Orionid meteor shower at its peak