Laura Wood is a senior environmental science major at the University of Maine, Orono, with a concentration in natural resource management. She has played an active role on campus working with the Green Campus Initiative and Property Management in promoting recycling programs and composting at dining facilities. She has volunteered to help families who live in "the Dump" in Managua, Nicaragua, has lobbied for international family planning at the House and Senate in Washington, D.C., and has cleaned beaches in the Florida Keys for a sea turtle habitat restoration project. All these experiences have propelled her into the field of sustainable waste management. Outside of the classroom, she loves traveling, wearing pink, sea-kayaking and drawing.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...The reality is it is my son's body to do with as he chooses! ..."
- by reader This Chick
- by reader Dale
- by reader Erin
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- 8 things you probably didn't know about the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
- Help! I forgot to thaw the turkey
- Stray dog follows adventure race team for 430 miles
- 10 brain games to play with your dog
- Shelter dogs find love matches on Tinder
- 7 traits of people who are great at relationships
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- Why do butterflies and moths have such detailed wings?
- Homemade driveway deicers: We tested it
- How 'hygge' can help you get through winter