Laura Wood is a senior environmental science major at the University of Maine, Orono, with a concentration in natural resource management. She has played an active role on campus working with the Green Campus Initiative and Property Management in promoting recycling programs and composting at dining facilities. She has volunteered to help families who live in "the Dump" in Managua, Nicaragua, has lobbied for international family planning at the House and Senate in Washington, D.C., and has cleaned beaches in the Florida Keys for a sea turtle habitat restoration project. All these experiences have propelled her into the field of sustainable waste management. Outside of the classroom, she loves traveling, wearing pink, sea-kayaking and drawing.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...The reality is it is my son's body to do with as he chooses! ..."
- by reader This Chick
- by reader Dale
- by reader Erin
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- Why dogs don't like to be hugged
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- Pit bulls and babies: Photographic proof that the much-maligned pups have hearts of gold
- Desert survival skills: Would you make it out alive? MNN quiz
- 13 natural remedies for the ant invasion
- When are you supposed to tip?
- Extraordinary images from Iceland, a place of fire and ice
- How to clean brass naturally
- 5 cheap ways to save 1,000 gallons of water
- 7 tiny homes that celebrate simple living