Laura Wood is a senior environmental science major at the University of Maine, Orono, with a concentration in natural resource management. She has played an active role on campus working with the Green Campus Initiative and Property Management in promoting recycling programs and composting at dining facilities. She has volunteered to help families who live in "the Dump" in Managua, Nicaragua, has lobbied for international family planning at the House and Senate in Washington, D.C., and has cleaned beaches in the Florida Keys for a sea turtle habitat restoration project. All these experiences have propelled her into the field of sustainable waste management. Outside of the classroom, she loves traveling, wearing pink, sea-kayaking and drawing.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...The reality is it is my son's body to do with as he chooses! ..."
- by reader This Chick
- by reader Dale
- by reader Erin
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- Guide to pairing wine with Halloween candy
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- 11 things dog owners should never say
- 'In Search of Lost Frogs': Photographer rescues frogs from oblivion
- Say what? 11 untranslatable words from other cultures [Infographic]
- 10 natural cough remedies
- 11 ways to open a stuck jar lid
- Cute, rustic cabin in Wisconsin is actually RV in disguise
- Are bread crusts more nutritious?
- How to prevent your child being bitten by the family dog