Laura Wood is a senior environmental science major at the University of Maine, Orono, with a concentration in natural resource management. She has played an active role on campus working with the Green Campus Initiative and Property Management in promoting recycling programs and composting at dining facilities. She has volunteered to help families who live in "the Dump" in Managua, Nicaragua, has lobbied for international family planning at the House and Senate in Washington, D.C., and has cleaned beaches in the Florida Keys for a sea turtle habitat restoration project. All these experiences have propelled her into the field of sustainable waste management. Outside of the classroom, she loves traveling, wearing pink, sea-kayaking and drawing.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...Broga? Really? Are they targeting college frat boys as a demo? ..."
- by reader StoJa
- by reader John M. Uscian
- by reader Highlowsel Smith
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- 12 plants that repel unwanted insects
- 13 natural remedies for the ant invasion
- Map points the way for the ultimate U.S. road trip
- Need a dose of happy? Watch this video
- Teen's invention keeps germs from spreading on planes
- 10 gorgeous U.S. waterfront campgrounds
- How do you get consumers to buy electric cars?
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- 15 houseplants for improving indoor air quality: A breath of fresh air
- How smart are you about crows and ravens? MNN quiz